Thursday, November 17, 2011

On trial

Prompt: Are you facing a trial of some sort? How are you thankful?

To be completely honest, every single day presents me with at least one new trial, usually multiple. Some of them are trivial while others seem to consume me. Lately, I have been struggling with missing people. It seems that no matter where I am, somebody important to me is not there. Don't get me wrong, I am not a "Debbie Downer" all the time who thinks that everybody must be somewhere in order for it to be a fun event- I do understand that everyone has their own life to live out. It's more like this: my ideal forever-home would be near all of my family and my closest friends. The problem with this is simply that they aren't even all in the same place, nor will they ever all be in the same place. I am mature enough to realize that this isn't a realistic dream, I am just saying it would be ideal. 
In the last few years of my faith walk, I have learned that rather than shutting down because I am feeling bad about something it is much more effective to bring the concern to my Father in Heaven. When I find myself missing someone, I pray for them. I know that not only does this make me feel better in a worldly sense because I am asking the most powerful being to help in preserving their well being, but it also, without a doubt, grows my relationship and dependence on the Lord. 
We are not capable of doing it all on our own. We were created as beings entirely dependent on God and He has no intentions of us ever achieving everything we are supposed to achieve without him. In 2 Corinthians chapter 1 verse 9, it is said that "In fact, we expected to die. But as a result, we stopped relying on ourselves and learned to rely only on God, who raises the dead." We give up everything and accept suffering so that we may become entirely reliant on Him and He may carry out His will in our lives. Trials build relationship. John 15:5 is where the Lord said, "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in me, and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing." Without Him (the vine), we (the branches) are worthless.
In Romans chapter 5 verses 3-5, we are reminded of all that comes with suffering, "but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out His love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us." I love that we have hope. Not just hope though. We have a hope that is more like guarantee. We have been promised that we are not alone, nor will we ever be. If there were never any bad times we may not look in anticipation for the good times. The good times that are on their way are greater than anything we have ever known or could ever begin to fathom.  2 Corinthians 4:17 states, "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all." To me, that sounds like a hope that couldn't possibly disappoint even the biggest dreamers. 

Heavenly Father, I am thankful for the trials that are presented to me daily. I am grateful that they help me to build my understanding of how great You really are. I know that being humbled through the tough times brings me closer to you than I think I can be. And I know that although bad days come and go, You are the only way to an everlasting joy that transcends all things. Thank You for being the vine to all of us; please continue to provide us with the necessary so that we may continue to share You and all You are with people of all nations.

1 comment:

  1. 1st Cor. 4:17 is my all time favorite verse. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete