Sunday, September 25, 2011

Sweet Sunday

Today started with a cup of coffee, as I think every day should. :) When you start your day well, I believe the rest of the day is likely to follow; this idea held true for me.

I hopped out of bed eager to get ready for church and start the day (knowing that there would be coffee made this feat much easier). We went to The Point church this morning along with some of our friends. There was a great worship period before the sermon that really brought our attention to God in our world. The sermon was based on Psalm 139, one of my favorites. In a nutshell, our focus was on the fact that the Lord is greater than anything we can ever completely fathom as is His everlasting, unconditional love for us. He knows more about us than anyone, yet He loves us more than anyone. WOW! As if that's not enough, He will NEVER leave us; He is ALWAYS here! How could you ask for anything more in a God?! Often times, the more people know about you the more vulnerable you are to them discovering something that will cause them to feel differently about you. God is not this way at all. There is nothing that can be concealed from Him because He knew it about you before you even knew it about yourself. And the best part, it doesn't make Him care about you or love you any less!

1 You have searched me, LORD, and you know me...

11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you...

13 For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb...

I guess I don't understand how anyone's day can continue in any way other than good after hearing and dissecting that scripture...

I am getting off track...

After spending some time in church with God, friends and other lovely people, I had the perfect "first weekend of fall" experience; I got to go to an apple orchard! (YAYYY!) It worked out perfectly because we only had to drive to Harrisburg which is only 5 miles South of Sioux Falls. None of us had ever been to this orchard before, so we didn't really know where or how to get started, but finally someone asked and we went to buy our bags to load with apples. Scott, Keri, Nate, Trey and I had a blast wandering through the rows of trees in search of the perfect apples to make our sweet apple-somethings.


 The pickers. Left to right: Keri, Scott, Nate, Me, Trey

Yes, they have pumpkins too.

The first of many rows of apple trees.

 

Trey picked an apple with his mouth. Nate was thoroughly impressed.
 
Just waiting to be picked and enjoyed.
 

 

 

 

Is it strange that even old fruit has a certain beauty to me?




Taste test = yum!


  
Keri and Scott walking ahead with their apples in hand.
 

Freshly: picked, cleaned, polished. Gorgeous apples.

 
Us with a fun pumpkin.
(photo courtesy Nate Bertsch)

    

As you can see, our trip to the orchard was a successful one! I can hardly wait to turn our apples into some sort of sweet treat tomorrow! I'll be sure to post about it once I decide which apple creation to make!

After the orchard, Nate, Trey and I went to CiCi's for lunch, which was delicious and fun to get to spend more time enjoying each other's company. I had to work at Chedd's at 3, so the rest of my afternoon and evening were consumed by making gourmet grilled cheese sandwiches for people and cleaning the restaurant. Some days I feel more like a cleaning lady for that place than anything; today was definitely one of those days. I worked Friday and Saturday night too, so this whole closing shift is beginning to get to me! Luckily it was broken up with movies on the couch on Friday, watching some flag football on Saturday, and tomorrow I have the day off.

I am happy to say it was another great weekend. I hope you had a fun-filled first weekend of fall as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment