Friday, September 9, 2011

Something for a wall

A few weeks ago, I was sitting, staring at a blank wall in the apartment. I began to feel a couple of things: 1. frustrated that the wall was completely bare, lacking a feeling of "home;" 2. inspired because I knew that I could come up with something to help the wall and make the living room more inviting. So, rather than stick with the frustrated feeling, I began brainstorming. Originally, I had no idea what I was going to do. I decided to run to Goodwill and see what I could find to re-purpose there. I wandered through the clutter and giggled to myself at some of the "stuff" around me. Then, I came across this board (I wish I took a picture of it before I did anything to it, because it was quite comical what was on it). The background was white, but it had a poem of some sort written on it in bright flourecent colors with goofy pictures titled "Love is Like Chocolate," (or something like that). Luckily, I chose not to be deterred by what was written on it. I knew that this board could be painted and turned into a wall hanging of some sort, so I splurged, spent the $6 to get it, and brought it home, very excited! I quickly picked up some dark brown paint and covered the silly poem. ;)

 
The blank canvas.
Once it was covered, I had a million and one ideas rushing through my brain of what this board could be. I decided to go with inspiration from a favorite Bible verse, Psalm 37:4, "Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart." Initially, the plan was to simply write this across the board, hang it on the wall and call it decoration. Simple, yet beautiful. I began playing with fonts on the computer adding and subtracting from the list of favorites. I debated between a horizontal and a vertical layout of my board... But I got bored with this idea. Instead, I decided to take it to the next level. This is what I came up with:
   

I decided to hand write the verse, using a paint pen, rather than printing it off the computer and using a perfect computerized font. Sometimes, I think that it is more fun to do things by hand. :) Also, rather than write the verse in a straight line (which definitely would have sufficed), I thought that I could add some energy to the board by varying text and location. I know that this is not a professional project by any means, but I am satisfied with how it turned out. The frames are some 50cent frames from Goodwill that I spray-painted gold. The pictures that are currently in the frames are all pictures of the sky that I or someone I know has taken.

Final product hanging in its place.


 
I hope to make many more of these, whether as gifts or for my own enjoyment. Who knows, maybe this one will be taken down and altered again someday, but for now, it will hang happily on the wall.

 

 

 

 
 
 Supplies List:
  • 1 board- any size will do, dependent on the space you're working with.
  • 1 2oz. bottle paint- used for the main color. Spray paint would also work. More or less may be necessary depending on the size of your board.
  • 1 paint pen- choose a color that works well in your space and coordinates with the background color.
  • a few small frames- I ended up using 4 of the 5 frames I got from Goodwill. Depending on the pictures you plan to display and the size of the board you may not be able to use as many.
  • 1 can spray paint- I used gold to match the writing, but it would be fun to use a different color or even multiple colors for the frames.
  • 1 bottle tacky glue- apply directly to the frames to ensure it is placed in the right spot.
  • Pictures- various sizes depending upon your frames.
 
Happy creating! :-D



No comments:

Post a Comment